Managing emotions

Dec 24 2008 by Derek Torres Print This Article

Did you know that managers are valued more for their people skills than their technical knowledge? Well, the Washington Business Journal says it's so, so who am I to question it?

But what does that mean in reality? Doesn't going for a manager who is lacking in technical skills (especially in fields that require them) mean that you're diluting your product, or even brand?

There is a case to be made for people with good people skills. Just look around your office. According to this article, 40% of a manager's time is spent putting out fires Ė in other words, dealing with people and their "issues". The other 60% of the time is wishing he hadn't hired so-and-so.

Looking around at your colleagues, you'll see what I mean. We're a complex bunch of beings, us humans, and our foibles can make the workplace less pleasant for some.

In every place I've worked, the characters have always been the same. You have your ambitious, go-getter type. Then, you have the princess who manages to get out of work. There's always the geek, and then the anti-social guy, etc.

The poor manager who has to rub all those egos and make his team work like clockwork, well - there's no amount of money you can put on that!

We can help by learning to be better with our emotions and not letting them get hold of us. Rationality is the key to getting through the workday. The only question is this: who is managing the manager and his or her emotions?