Everyone has run into the situation where you are running late for work. Perhaps you just overslept or maybe you have a legitimate reason, but your boss has heard it all. What do you say? What can you say that will sound real and not set off alarm bells.
Well, despite the title of the article on CNN being 10 best excuses for coming to work late, the interesting part of the article is the list of ten excuses you should avoid.
According to the article's author, Rosemary Haefner, all of the following excuses were actually given as reasons why someone was late:
1. While rowing across the river to work, I got lost in the fog.
2. Someone stole all my daffodils.
3. I had to go audition for American Idol.
4. My ex-husband stole my car so I couldn't drive to work.
5. My route to work was shut down by a Presidential motorcade.
6. I have transient amnesia and couldn't remember my job.
7. I was indicted for securities fraud this morning.
8. The line was too long at Starbucks.
9. I was trying to get my gun back from the police.
10. I didn't have money for gas because all of the pawn shops were closed.
So, if you find yourself running late, even if one of the reasons above is the actual reason you are late, you may want to consider coming up with something else. Haefner suggests that you try to judge the company you are working for and their tolerance for being late. Whatever that culture is, prompt or laid-back, you should try to change your behavior to match it.
Still, even if you do this, you might end up running late. If that's the case, take a deep breath, and then turn on your creative juices. The excuse you use may be the one that saves your job.