It can be a tall order trying to keep your employees interested and engaged in their work. According to the business consulting organization SCORE, there are 10 things you can do that will help. Keeping these things in mind can help you manage better and keep your office productive.
- Throw out any pre-conceived notions you may have about employees in general.
- Try to approach your people with fresh eyes and take into account their unique perspective.
- Make sure all of your people are equipped with what they need to do their job.
- When you manage your employees make sure they understand exactly what is expected of them in their respective jobs.
- Take time to get to know your employees and what their career goals are.
- Pay the money needed and take the time to make sure your workers are properly trained.
- Ask your direct-reports to evaluate you. Find out how they perceive you and your work and adjust accordingly.
- Pay attention to the office rituals and what's going on around you.
- Recognize and reward employees who have done their job well and do a good job of this so others will want to do the same.
- Be consistent. Don't start programs and then drop them after a few weeks. So stick with it.
Whatever you do, taking the old adage of the manager who hides in his office is exactly the wrong way to go. Talk to your people, get to know them, and treat them like human beings and you'll get a response in return.